REURAL: Digitization and nanotechnologies in rural areas
September 2020 – March 2021
One of the main challenges in water treatment is the development of solutions adapted to rural areas. Currently, many Spanish towns spill their sewage to the environment without enough treatment, this is because they don’t have adequate treatment systems. The main causes of this situation can be summarized in the particularities of each municipality and in their impossibility to pay for traditional treatment systems.
REURAL seeks to improve this situation by using cheap and effective treatment technologies, treating municipal effluents through a system of membrane technologies. This purified water could be reused for irrigation, achieving a double benefit: decrease their environmental impact and a better use of water.
The subsequent digitization of the treatment plant will increase its autonomy of operation and therefore will reduce operational costs, because it won´t require staff operating it in person. This will be achieved through the implementation of: sensors, intelligence programs and a cloud platform.
The development of this project is possible thanks to the collaboration between GEEZAR and ACAI DEPURACIÓN. GEEZAR will develop the purification system, the artificial intelligence programming and the cloud platform. Meanwhile ACAI DEPURACION will provide support in the design of the treatment system and will work on the definition of critical control parameters.
This project received funding support under the “Innovative Business Associations” framework (AEIs). This program supports to strenghten innovation clusters and is also alligned with the european strategy for competitiveness through innovation.
The groups that can benefit from this aid are those entities whose innovative potential and critical mass is enogh to get the recognition from the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Tourism through their registration in the Register of Innovative Business Groups.
- Objective 1. Use 4.0 technologies (data collection through IoT and rapid response intelligent control) to ensure the optimal operation of the plants.
- Objective 2. Design and set up a facility using nanotechnologies that up to now has been successfully tested in the laboratory.
- Objective 3. Establish the steps to reach a demonstration level of operation in a real environment (TRL 7) of the facility using nanotechnologies.
- Objective 4. Execute the tests and carry out the necessary measurements to improve the quality of the effluent and its reuse in accordance with RD 1620/2007.
- Objective 5. Evaluate the impact of the 4.0 technologies deployed on the operation and maintenance costs of both plants.
PT1 – Project coordination and dissemination (ZINNAE).
PT2 – Design and manufacture of nanotechnology purification equipment (GEEZAR)
PT3 – Management of the installation and its new monitoring systems (ACAI)
PT4 – Study of critical parameters and implementation of intelligence (GEEZAR)
The project will be developed between the months of September 2020 and March 2021.
- ZINNAE firstname.lastname@example.org
- ACAI DEPURACIÓN email@example.com
- GEEZAR firstname.lastname@example.org